Monday, February 5, 2007

Til The End of Time or Not

I was in a CVS Pharmacy and there was an older lady (about 75) behind the counter. She spoke with an accent. As I was paying for my stuff, I noticed she had an old tattoo on her left forearm. It was hard to make out because it had faded and her skin was wrinkled. I didn't comment on it, but I wondered if it was a concentration camp tattoo - right age, accent, unusual for women in the 1940's to get tattoos.

The next time I went in, I asked her about the tattoo.

I said, "What does your tattoo say?"

She replied, "It's TTE of T." "A lot of people want to know if it's a concentration camp tattoo."

I still couldn't make it out. So, I asked her, "Is it in another language?"

"No, it's in English, just old."

"What does it mean?"

"It stands for ' Til the End of Time'". When I was a young girl I met a man and fell in love. We each had TTE of T tattooed on us to signify our undying love."

Of course, I asked if she had married him.

"No, it didn't last. I don't even know what happened to him."

No comments: